Happy New Year everyone! Hope you’ve all had a good start to this year. Kudos to making it through the end of the world and all. I’m starting off January with a review on my favourite sunscreen/moisturizer all through school- Garnier’s Sun Control Moisturizer, SPF 15.
Why I choose this?
- It contains a revolutionary patented molecule, Mexoryl SX which is supposed to provide breakthrough protection from UV rays.
- Lightweight formula that doesn’t make your face greasy.
- The travel friendly packaging.
- My love for Garnier products in general.
Price: 180 INR for 50 ml.
My take on Garnier Sun Control Moisturizer SPF 15:
I had never used any sort of sunscreen before I was fourteen or so. I know now that lack of sunscreen/sun block when you’re out in the sun is a bad idea for your skin, but back then I rarely worried myself with any kind of ‘beauty routine’. But then my mom brought home this sunscreen by Garnier and told me to use it as a moisturizer during the day. I became so used to it; I used it all through the remaining three years of school. Even today I keep a spare bottle handy in my bag for when I’m running late and don’t bother putting anything on my face before leaving (yes I have plenty of those days, which is why I always have a mini make-up bag and moisturizer in my bag).The packaging is sturdy and travel friendly. It comes in a flat, long bottle with an orange cap (characteristic of most sunscreens). It’s never leaked into my bag.
Left – Top: Consistency, Bottom: If used unblended.
Right – If blended properly. Top: In artificial light. Bottom: In natural light
It’s a lightweight moisturizer, not a thick lotion and has a pale orangey colour. This is good news for oily skinned people. Despite my skin being on the drier side, it’s reasonably hydrating without being oily and dries to a matte finish. This moisturizer smells amazing; clean and fresh. But the smell goes away a few minutes after application. Now application can be a bit of a problem, because if you don’t massage it in consistently, it can leave a whitish cast. This vanishes in a couple of minutes too but that might just be for me. Sometimes I’ve mixed this with a drop of foundation and it’s worked pretty well as a tinted moisturizer too.
- Contains Mexoryl SX, Vitamin E, Glycerol and coriander extracts, making it excellent for your skin.
- Dermatologically tested.
- Useful to carry in your bag and use for reapplication on your face, hands or feet.
- Doesn’t make my face greasy.
- Can leave behind a whitish cast.
- SPF 15 is SO NOT ENOUGH for the sweltering Delhi summers.
- It says it prevents premature ageing and skin darkening, while it does work for my skin in the ‘premature ageing’ department it barely prevents me from tanning.
While it’s a good moisturizer to have at hand, I would recommend something with higher SPF which prevents tanning, especially if you live in a city with weather conditions like Delhi.